Agricultural Security Area (ASA) Enrollment
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR LAND TO BE ENROLLED IN AN ASA
- The property must be at least 10 acres in size. It does not have to be adjoining other property enrolled in an Agricultural Security Area.
- The property must be viable agricultural land. Cropland, pasture, and woodland can all be included in an Agricultural Security Area.
- At least 50% of the land should be in soil capability classes I-IV, as defined by the county soil survey. Options exist if this requirement is not met.
- The property must be zoned to permit agricultural uses.
HOW TO ENROLL YOUR LAND IN AN ASA
- Complete an agricultural security area application form and attach a copy of your tax map. Application forms and tax maps may be obtained by contacting our office, the Berks County Agricultural Land Preservation Board at (610) 378-1844, or at the township where you reside. Click here for township contact information.
- Mail the application to your township office by certified mail with return receipt, provided your township has an Agricultural Security Area.
Please Note: If your land is located in a township without an ASA, contact our office for additional information and options.