Estate matters that require judicial disposition are handled in the Orphan's Court. Routine appearances before the Orphan's Court include:
- Audits of accounts of executors, administrators, trustees, and guardians
- Distribution of estates of decedents, incompetents, and minors
- Appointment and control of guardians
- Appeals from the Register of Wills involving probate matters
- Inheritance tax appeals
- Various petitions and motions
As Clerk of the Orphan's Court, the Register maintains the docket and all other records of the Orphan's Court. The Register is required by law to advertise in the local newspapers the accounts submitted to him in Orphan's Court.
When filing documents, please do not staple the original -- it makes for easier scanning.
Because we do not have electronic filing, please make sure all filed documents contain an original signature, in blue ink.
Information and Resources
Orphans' Court Complete Rules
The Updated Orphans' Court Rules, with incorporated amendments, are now available.
The complete set of Orphans' Court local rules:
- Some additional Orphans’ Court forms are available on the Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania's website.